Saturday, February 2, 2008

Why it is a good idea to stay at youth hostels

What does one do on one's first day back in Beijing? Revisit the majestic Forbidden city? Buy boatloads of fake clothing and DVDs? Hit up some of the tourist sites I missed last time around? More importantly, what does one do as a disgruntled former employee of a youth hostel who is back for a visit? The answer to both of these questions is not what you might expect: wash some cats!

That's right. This morning, right when I was about to set off for the Temple of Heaven, my one of my roommates in the hostel where I'm staying invited me to go ice skating. I figured there would be more time to see temples, so I set off with her. She had worked at the hostel last summer (and left on not such great terms), and wanted to stop by their other building and say hi. She decided their three white cats were in danger of turning black, so we gave them a bath in the sink. An hour with the hairdryer later, and we had three still-shivering cats, marginally whiter than before, considered the job finished, and set off for ice skating. It's really unfortunate I can't enhance this with a picture.

Which is to say, I'm here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, Sam, you've made your contribution to the big effort to clean things up before the Olympics. The trick will be to get those cats to STAY clean until then.

Danny Townsend said...

Do you get to eat the cats?

And now, you can say you've ice skated in multiple foreign countries this year.