Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Engrish!

China has turned out to be a paradise of poorly-translated English signs, or "Engrish" (see engrish.com). Chinese people also love to wear clothes with English on them, no matter what the meaning is. Some are just nonsense, but I once saw my language partner's friend wearing a shirt that said "Wench" in big letters across the front. I was tempted to say something, but I would have had no idea where to start on explaining that one. Anyway, I offer for your enjoyment some of my favorite examples of Engrish around Beijing:

This one was in a restaurant, far from any hillsides that look like they might give way...


This one was in a different restaurant. It's supposed to be an ad for LP gas.


This one was on a trash can at a Tang dynasty palace. Note the arrows.


This one was inside the CCTV tower.


And, finally, my absolute favorite, appearing outside a clothing store in one of the main bar districts.

2 comments:

Kelly McLaughlin said...

LOL! Awesome.

Bridget said...

this is maybe my favorite thing ever.
(je t'écrirai ce soiii-ir!)